Thomas Lewis Jefferson VNovember 21, 1949 ~ September 1, 2017 (age 67)
JEFFERSON, Thomas Lewis
We mourn the passing of Thomas Lewis Jefferson V “Tom”, who died unexpectedly on September 1, 2017. Tom was born in Summit, New Jersey on November 21, 1949 to Thomas Lewis Jefferson IV and Judith Wagstaff Jefferson. He spent his early childhood in Wayne, Pennsylvania and later attended school in Massachusetts, graduating from Mount Hermon School in 1968. Tom attended Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, majoring in teaching and music. After college graduation in 1972, Tom served in the Air Force in Guam and at March Air Force Base in Sunnymead, California, where he settled after an honorable discharge. Tom earned an MBA and worked in city government in Seal Beach, California and in Cerritos, California. Tom had a lifelong love of music. He was a classically-trained singer, performing in church choirs and choral groups in both Southern California and the Spokane area. Tom’s great passion was the organ, starting when he heard the pipe organ at St. Mary’s Church in Wayne, Pennsylvania. Tom had a great talent for hymn playing and he became a valued substitute organist at many churches. In July 2013, Tom and his wife Mary Jo chose Spokane as their retirement destination. Here, Tom joined the American Guild of Organists and became involved in other musical endeavors. He was a major contributor to the Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Recently Tom joined the mentor program of Union Gospel Mission, volunteering hours of advice and encouragement to men in transition. Tom was predeceased by his father and mother and sister Jane Bell. He is survived by his wife Mary Jo Beck, sister Judy Jefferson, brother Peter W. Jefferson (Lillian), nephew Rob Bell and nieces Whitney Bell-Dipetto (Laurence), Jessica Spradling, Naomi Jefferson and Katie Jefferson. A memorial service will be held at St. John’s Episcopal Cathedral on Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. A final memorial will be held at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in New Providence, New Jersey.